Top home renovation tips for home upgrades!
Not all home renovation tips / home upgrades are worth the investment! When it comes to making your home more energy efficient, renovation tips hold great potential. Big change can mean a big price tag, so it's important to do things right.
Top home renovation tips that are worth $7,000 towards home upgrades from LiveSmart BC
Here's how these home renovation tips / home upgrades work!
- You start by getting an energy assessment from a qualified energy advisor who examines your home and its existing efficiency. Advisors aren't in the business of selling products, so you can be sure you're getting expert advice on which investments will save the most energy and money.
- Your advisor creates a report that shows exactly what each potential improvement would save on energy. With your assessment in hand, you'll be ready to select which home upgrades or home renovation tips you want to follow.
- After your home upgrades have been completed, you get a second assessment and could qualify for up to $7,000 in rebates, depending on your renovations.
Before you book contractors and break out the chequebook, check out these dos and don'ts of energy-efficient home renovation tips / home upgrades!
Things you should do
- Follow best practices for selecting your contractor. Get multiple quotes, ask questions, and follow the program timelines for your home upgrades.
- Compare apples to apples when deciding on products. Ask questions, as you would with any major purchase. Consider why one product is $500 cheaper than another — compare the warranty and long-term energy savings if you follow their home renovation tips / home upgrades.
- Consider home renovation tips or home upgrades that might not be top of mind, like insulating bare concrete in your basement or crawlspace. Bare concrete could lose more heat than your attic. You could save enough energy to put in a smaller furnace which is cheaper to purchase and to run.
- Maintain your receipts, records and other paperwork — your energy advisor needs to verify what's been done and that you've selected eligible products. Many products that are available for your home upgrades or ones offered to you for home renovation tips are not covered in the programs rebate.The program is designed to steer people towards the most energy-efficient choice, so remember not every product within a category is eligible for a grant (e.g. not every type of water heater).
- Consider the long-term value of the home upgrades. Don't focus on just the up-front costs of your home renovation tips, Because LiveSmartBC offers one-time grants, it's sometimes worth doing as many home upgrades as possible to maximize the value of the program. After some people get their home renovation tips they even find value in taking out a loan to finance their home upgrades, knowing that they'll continue to see payoffs for years from their home renovation tips.
For more information on how to improve the value of your home give The Property Finders a call!
your local real estate experts!
By Sean jordan @ One Percent Realty